Water Damage FAQs
Did you know that water damage occurs at an average rate of 70 incidents per month for every 100,000 people? Based on these numbers, you may only be at a 4% risk of experiencing water damage in Houston within the next five years. However, you can never predict when it will happen to you and your level of preparedness for the incident.
When faced with the prospect of water damage in Houston, TX, rest assured that the team from BIONIC Emergency Services is here for you!
What is Water Damage?
Water is a highly destructive force, as it can spread quickly and cause irreparable damage not only to all personal belongings but also furniture, carpets, hardwood and even tile flooring. It penetrates deep into the walls and can cause serious structural damage if not addressed in a timely manner. Furthermore, water damage is the leading cause of mold, as growth can begin within 24 to 48 hours.
What to Do to Prevent Water Damage?
Whether you are in the midst of a single-home flood or area-wide flooding, whether or not it is a true emergency, it is crucial to contact our experts for a quick and efficient remediation plan. To minimize the effects of water damage in your home or business, there are a few things that you can do while you wait:
• Mop up or drain as much of the water as possible
• Lift all light furniture off the floor
• Place aluminum foil under the legs of heavy furniture for improved drying
• Open cabinets, drawers, closets, and interior room doors to enhance ventilation
• Move all draperies away from wet surfaces
• Move all room décor to a dry location
• Maintain warm room temperature for moisture removal via air
What NOT to Do in the Event of Water Damage?
Aside from the risk of property damage, water damage poses numerous threats to your physical well-being. In the event of a flood, there are several actions that must be avoided under any circumstances:
• DO NOT enter an area with standing water until the electricity is shut off
• DO NOT touch visible mold
• DO NOT operate electrical appliances on wet surfaces
• DO NOT remove water with a vacuum cleaner
• DO NOT attempt to lift wall-to-wall carpeting without professional assistance
• DO NOT remove books from bookshelves to prevent warping of pages
Can Water Damage be Repaired?
In short, yes. While following all of the above guidelines is an important first step, only a professional can place your life back on track following a water damage incident. When you seek a permanent solution to water damage in Houston, TX, or surrounding areas, BIONIC Emergency Services is only one call away!
Contact BIONIC Emergency Services Now